Dr,A. P. J.” Abdul Kalam was the 11th President of India from 2002 to 2007, widely referred to as the “People’s President,”. A career scientist turned politician, Kalam was born and raised in Rameswaram, Tamil Nadu, and studied physics and aerospace engineering. He spent the next four decades as a scientist and science administrator, mainly at the Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) and Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) and was intimately involved in India’s civilian space program and military missile development efforts. He thus came to be known as the Missile Man of India for his work on the development of ballistic missile and launch vehicle technology He was a recipient of several prestigious awards, including the Bharat Ratna, India’s highest civilian honour.
1) If you salute your duty, you need not salute anybody. But if you pollute your duty, you have to salute everybody.
2) My message, especially to the young people, is to have courage to think differently, courage to invent, to travel the unexplored path, courage to discover the impossible and to conquer the problems and succeed. These are great qualities that they must work towards. This is my message to the young people.
3) Thinking is progress. Non-thinking is stagnation of the individual, organisation and the country. Thinking leads to action. Knowledge without action is useless and irrelevant. Knowledge with action, converts adversity into prosperity.
4) Don’t take rest after your first victory, because if you fall in the second, more lips are waiting to say that your first victory was just luck.
5) When our signature changes to autograph, that marks the success.
6) We should not give up and we should not allow the problem to defeat us.
7) Difficulties in your life do not come to destroy you, but to help you realise your hidden potential and power. Let difficulties know that you too are difficult.
8) Those who cannot work with their hearts achieve but a hollow, half-hearted success that breeds bitterness all around.
9) Don’t read success stories, you will only get a message. Read failure stories, you will get some ideas to get success.
10) Your best teacher is your last mistake.
Dr Kalam is one of the few people whose spirit will never die. An inspiration to the youth, he continues to inspire. Rest in peace, Sir!