Breakfast is the most important meal of the day.” Your breakfast should be like a king”- it is called breakfast as it breaks the fast of nearly 8- 10 hrs. On the other hand it provides energy for the whole day.
Here are 4 awesome Recipes for healthy start of your day:
1. Sweet Potato Muffins:
- 1 cup cooked mashed sweet potatoes
- 2 egg whites
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup water
- ½ cup applesauce
- 2 tablespoons vegetable or canola oil
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- Zest of one orange
- 1 ½ cup all purpose flour
- ¾ cup whole wheat flour
- 2 tablespoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup whole cranberry sauce (not jellied)
Preheat oven to 375. Spray muffin tins with nonstick spray and set aside. In a large bowl, mix sweet potatoes, egg whites, sugar, water, apple sauce, oil, orange zest and vanilla until well combined. In a separate bowl, combine flours, salt and baking powder. Add flour mixture to sweet potato mix and combine. Gently stir in cranberry sauce, and pour into muffin tin.
Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until the tops spring back when gently pressed in the center.
2. Fruit and Yogurt Popsicles:
- 2 cups vanilla yogurt
- 1 kiwi, peeled and diced
- ½ cup blueberries
- ½ cup strawberries, hulled and diced
- 2 tablespoons honey
- ½ cup granola
Combine yogurt, kiwi, blueberries, strawberries and one tablespoon of the honey in a bowl, and then pour into Popsicle molds. Freeze overnight. Remove from molds, brush lightly with remaining honey, and roll in granola.
3. Orange Cranberry Power Smoothie:
- ¼ cup whey protein powder
- 1 cup cranberry juice
- 1 large banana, roughly chopped
- 1 small can mandarin oranges in juice
- ¾ cup fresh strawberries, hulled and chopped
- ¼ cup orange sorbet
- 1 cup ice
Drain can of oranges. Add all ingredients to blender, blend well and pour into two glasses. Garnish with orange slices or mint, if desired.
4. Breakfast Cookies:
- 1 cup almonds
- 1 ½ cups old fashioned rolled oats
- 1/3 cup whole wheat flour
- ½ cup white flour or ground flax seeds
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ cup peanut butter (smooth or chunky)
- ¼ cup canola oil
- ¼ cup honey
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- ½ cup golden raisins
- 1 cup semi sweet chocolate chips
Preheat oven to 375. Spray baking sheets with nonstick spray and set aside. Add almonds to food processor and grind until they resemble crumbly flour. Add to a bowl, and mix in rolled oats, flours, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg. Set aside.
In a separate bowl, combine the peanut butter, oil, honey, vanilla, eggs, and brown sugar. Mix well, and then fold in the raisins and chocolate chips. Add in the flour mixture and combine well. Fold in chocolate chips and raisins. (Mixture will be very thick, don’t worry.) Roll dough into balls of about 1 tablespoon each and place onto baking sheets about 2-3 inches apart. Bake 7-10 minutes, or until lightly browned. Flatten warm cookies with a fork or spatula and allow to cool.