You’ve heard the line – an apple a day keeps the doctor away — forever now and must have dismissed it as an old wives’ tale. However, nutritionists are time and again shedding light on the numerous health benefits that this wonder fruit has in store. If you are unaware of this humble fruit’s health benefits, have a look at this post to get a clear idea why you should eat apple every day.
Nutritional Information for Apples
Apples deserve to be called “nutritional powerhouses”. They contain the following important nutrients:
- Vitamin c: a powerful natural antioxidant capable of blocking some of the damage caused by free radicals, as well as boosting the body’s resistance against infectious agents,
- B-complex vitamins (riboflavin, thiamin, and vitamin B-6) – these vitamins are key in maintaining red blood cells and the nervous system in good health.
- Dietary fiber – apple are rich in fibers can help prevent the development of certain diseases and may help prevent the amount of bad cholesterol in your blood from rising.
- Phytonutrients – apples are rich in polyphenolic compounds. They help your body to fight from free radicla damage
- Minerals such as calcium, potassium, and phosphorus.
10 Amazing health benefits of apple:
1) Apple keeps your heart healthy:
Pectin, a soluble fibre present in apples helps in absorbing cholesterol and thus reduces the chances of your arteries getting blocked. The fruit is also charged with antioxidants, which serves the same purpose of fighting bad cholesterol.
2) Apples lower your blood pressure and risk of stroke
According to a study conducted by Dutch researchers, people who consumed 171 grams of apple a day were 52% less likely to suffer from stroke compared to those who consumed 78 grams or lesser. So, gorge on an apple a day and lower your chances of suffering from stroke.
3) Apples make your teeth whiter
Nobody likes stained teeth and opting for dental procedures might make a hole in your pocket. Apples contain abrasive qualities whichhelp infighting stains on your teeth and thus, whiten your smile.
For tips on dental health , see our post How to care for your dentures
4) Apples give you glowing skin
One of the lesser known benefits of eating an apple is that it’s great for the skin. It is rich in Vitamin C and antioxidants which prevent signs of ageing, wrinkles and keeps your skin glowing.
5) Apples help with weight loss
Eating an apple before having a meal, acts as a wonderful way to lose weight. Apart from containing just 50-80 calories, an apple does not have any fat or sodium. Additionally, eating an apple makes you feel full due to its high fibre content. A Brazilian study even found that women, who ate apples before their meals, lost 33% more weight than women who didn’t eat the fruit.
6) Apples lowers risk of cancer
Eating apples can actually prevent you from cancer. Also, the presence of flavonoids, a chemical, in apples can help destroy cancer cells. However, make sure that you do not peel the apple, since most of the flavoring are present in its skin.
7) Apples help beat diarrhea and constipation
Even though diarrhea and constipation are two very different stomach ailments, apples can help counter both. The fibre present in apples adds bulk to the food that you eat and thus, aids in better digestion thereby preventing constipation. It also absorbs absorb excess water in case of diarrhoea, providing you a quick relief.
8) Apples boost your immune system
Being rich in so many nutrients, apples can boost your immune system and keep you free from infections. In particular, a flavonoid called quercetin has been shown to significantly boost your immune system
9) Apples help you exercise better
A lot of people are confused as to what they should eat before exercising. Eating an apple can be a great option. It has been shown that apples boost endurance by making more oxygen available to the lungs.
10) Apples can help improve memory
Eating an apple everyday can prevent the decline of a neurotransmitter known as acetylcholine thus improves your memory. A study also found that this property of an apple can slow the mental decline found in people with Alzheimer’s disease
All these health benefits make apples a precious food item and you shouldn’t think twice before bringing some home for yourself and your family.click for details