Fennel seeds are a very integral part of south east asian cuisines. In addition to adding taste to your food its an important herb of medicinal importance.These seeds may appear small in their appearance but they are extremely flavorful to taste. Fennel seeds are well known for their anti-oxidant and anti-inflammatory properties. They are well known to act as an antispasmodic, expectorant, diuretic as well as a stimulant. The goodness of fennel comes from its key ingredients, that embody, the phytonutrient anethole, which prevents both inflammation as well as carcinogenesis, the process by which regular cells get converted into cancerous ones. Fennel seeds are a good source of Dietary fiber, potassium and folate which promote good cardiovascular and colon health.
The fennel seeds are extensively used in various north Indian cuisines and are added in crushed or ground form in making of fennel tea. The seeds are rich in important volatile oil compounds like anethole, fenchone and estragole which are believed to be responsible for its antispasmodic, have properties to kill bacteria, antimicrobial and anti-inflammatory properties. People love piping the fennel seeds mainly for its unique flavor and is additionally help increase amount of gastric juice produced of gastric juices that aid in proper digestion. These compounds assist in regulating the contractions of the intestines helping in relieving intestinal cramps and trapped gases in the stomach.
Some of the health benefits that you could get from fennel seeds are:
- They are very high in anti oxidants
- It has anti-inflammatory properties thus benefit people suffering from arthritis and joint pains.
- Helps lower blood pressure naturally.
- The fennel seeds are extensively used as breath freshener. You could chew them after you have your meals.
- It can also act as an immune system enhancer and many people have said that it gives a sense of relaxation and well-being when they drink fennel tea regularly.
- It serves as a therapeutic agent, relaxant and stimulant.
- Fennel seeds are rich in minerals such as calcium, manganese and vitamin B3.
- It aids in the treatment of numerous digestive problems such as bloating, diarrhea, flatulence, constipation and indigestion etc.