- 1 ½ Tbs. olive oil
- 1 medium onion, quartered and thinly sliced (1½ cups)
- 1 medium green bell pepper, cut into short, thin strips (1½ cups)
- 1 14- to 16-oz. pkg. soft or firm tofu, drained, patted dry, and cut crosswise into 6 slabs
- 1 cup prepared medium or mild salsa, plus more for serving
- 2 medium tomatoes, diced (1 cup)
- 1–2 small fresh jalapeño chiles, seeded and minced
- 2 Tbs. nutritional yeast, optional
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- ¼ tsp. ground turmeric, optional
- 1 cup cilantro leaves, chopped
- 8 corn tortillas, warmed
1. Heat oil in large skillet over medium heat. Add onion, and sauté 5 minutes, or until translucent. Add bell pepper, and cook 5 to 7 minutes more, or until vegetables begin to brown. Add tofu to skillet, crumbling each slab as it goes in.
2. Stir in salsa, tomatoes, and chiles, followed by nutritional yeast (if using), cumin, and turmeric (if using). Cook 5 to 8 minutes, or until tomatoes have softened and ingredients are melded and piping hot. Stir in cilantro, then season with salt and pepper, if desired.
3. Divide tofu mixture among tortillas, and serve with salsa.