Adding too much salt in every dish is a very disastrous habit for your health. Taking too much salt can predispose you for Hypertension and many Heart Diseases. The good news is that you don’t have to compromise flavor for a healthier plate. Here are some tips to help you shake the salt habit:
- Add citrus to your meal for a pungent punch of flavor! Swapping in lemon or orange flavor instead of salt will brighten your meal without contributing to heart disease risk. Orange or grapefruit sections in salad or fresh lemon squeezed onto fish will add a tart, yet healthy spunk to your meals.
- Swap salt for spices. Oregano, black pepper, chili powder, red chili flakes, cinnamon, and cloves add tons of flavor to your meal without any salt, along with a hefty side of health benefits!
- Add fresh herbs to your meals. Aromatic herbs such as rosemary, thyme, chives, and basil are nearly calorie-free, yet flavorful enough to help you pass on the salt shaker! You can enjoy fresh herb all year by planting a countertop herb garden. Growing an indoor garden is a great way to help your kids grow to learn about where food flavors come from.
- Zest your plate to life! Cutting back on sodium, but adding lemon zest to your meal can reduce your sodium intake by 50 percent! Try adding lemon zest to a marinade or rub for meats and chicken, salad dressings, or fish.
- Fill your salt shaker with a no-salt spice blend. Instead of leaving a salt shaker on your kitchen or dining room table, ditch the salt and create your own array of seasonings and spices or try one of the no-salt blends on supermarket shelves. Your family can have fun creating their personal favorite hot mixes.