5 ways to hydrate your body :
- Prevent dehydration by drinking fluids frequently. You should drink enough fluids even if you don’t feel particularly thirsty. You may be dehydrated before you feel thirsty.
- The amount of water that adults need varies, but in general,men should drink at least 13 cups (3 liters) of fluids per day. Women should drink at least 9 cups (2.2 liters) of fluids per day
- A good rule of thumb is to drink between .5-1 ounce of water for each pound you weigh. Thus, a 200-pound person should drink between 100-200 ounces of fluids per day, depending on exercise and activity level.
- If you exercise, drink an extra 1.5-2.5 cups of water for moderate excercise. If you will be exercising more than an hour, get additional rehydration using a sports drink containing electrolytes. Aim for .5-1 cup of fluid every 15-20 minutes during exercise.
- Avoid too much fruit juice. The sugar can cause trouble with your blood sugar levels and can increase urination, which can contribute to dehydration.
- Assess your salt levels. Heavy exercise, such as that done by athletes, can cause salt loss. The average person can lose 500mg of sodium through sweat over an hour-long workout; for athletes, that can be as much as 3000mg.
- Try weighing yourself before and after a workout. Include the amount of water you drank during your workout. For example, if the scale shows you as one pound lighter but you also drank 16 ounces of water, you’re actually down two pounds. If you have lost more than 2 pounds, eat a handful of salty snacks such as pretzels or salted nuts to replace the lost sodium.
- Bring water with you. If you will be outside, such as at a sporting event or activity, bring extra water with you. If you will be doing vigorous exercise, consider bringing sports drinks that contain electrolytes as well as a refillable water bottle
4. Wear breathable clothing. If you are regularly out in the heat or do vigorous exercise, wear breathable clothing. This can help your body regulate its heat. Bring along a personal mister or fan to help you keep cool. This will keep your body from losing fluid through perspiratio
5. Eat hydrating foods. Fresh fruits and vegetables are often good sources of fluids. The average person gets about 19% of their daily water intake from food.